Hello everyone, here's your summary of what happened at the meeting for everyone who wasn’t able to attend (and to jog memories for those who did).
It was a smaller group this time since so many members were away at retreat, but we also had a few new faces, so that was great.
News/discussion/etc. from the meeting:
- We had a (very) brief overview of the latest newsletter email from the Modern Quilt Guild.
- Some Canadian Quilting Association stuff:
- The TrendTex Challenge 2019 is now open, more info there: https://canadianquilter.com/trendtex-challenge-2019/
- Submissions are now open for the National Juried Show for next year’s Quilt Canada, more info here: https://njs.canadianquilter.com/index.html
- Quilts of Valour Canada is looking for blocks and/or finished quilts towards their goal of presenting 20,000 quilts to injured veterans by 2020. More details and a log cabin pattern to use here: https://canadianquilter.com/quilts-of-valour-canada/
- We had cookies and a fun quilt acronym activity.
- We talked about our donation quilts and the sew-in days (see below).
- We also talked about our upcoming Parksville presentation (see below).
- We had a couple examples of crazy quilting brought in for the challenge from last month. If you weren’t at the meeting or didn’t get one finished in time, no worries, just bring yours when you can.
- And we of course had some show and share:
Charity quilts: We will have two assembly weekends at Jonanco for this project (November 17/18 and November 24/25). As November 24th was our sew-in day at the library that we already wanted to use for assembling the donation quilts, we will cancel the library day and have the sew-in at Jonanco. Some of the Jonanco quilting group will join us to help out on these assembly days. So far we have enough HSTs to make 13 1/2 quilts, plus we have 5 completed quilts, 2 completed tops, and 3 panels and 4 tops that can be enlarged, so 27 quilts.
Jonanco is located at 2745 White Rapids Rd just south of Nanaimo. https://www.jonanco.org
Donation quilt HSTs general info: As we discussed in previous meetings, we have an ongoing project to make half square triangles for quilts to be donated to kids in foster care. If you missed the specs on the HSTs: we’re going for a scrappy sort of look, but big and modern. Half square triangle blocks should be trimmed to 8.5 inches, with one side lighter and the other darker (relative is OK, like pink against white), and we also discussed having one side be a solid (or a subtle print that reads as a solid) and the other a print. The target age is the slightly older kids and teens, say 6-16, as there tends to already be a lot of donations aimed at the really little kids. Final quilt sizes will likely be lap size or twins, but for now, just keep feeding us HSTs and we’ll build the quilts later on. As this is an ongoing project, just make ‘em as you can and bring ‘em – great way to work through your stash.
Parksville guild presentation: We will be giving a presentation on modern quilting to the Parksville guild on Monday November 19th. Similar to the traditional Nanaimo guild, they meet twice that day with an afternoon meeting at 1pm and an evening one at 6:30, so we will present at both. We could use a hand with the presentations and activities we’ll be leading them in, especially for the afternoon session, and we would also like to borrow some modern quilts to show Parksville (same as when we presented to the traditional Nanaimo guild a while back).
The Parksville guild meets at the Parksville Community Conference Center, 132 Jensen Avenue East in Parksville.
If you would like to lend us a quilt or two, kindly bring them to one of the Jonanco sew-in days or email us to make other arrangements, and if you can lend a hand with the presentations, email us and let us know.
Block of the Month/Block lotto: No new block of the month, so you can work on the Christmas swap.
Mini Challenge for October: Ditto. No mini challenge this month.
Christmas swap: I’m sure you’ve all seen the sparkly red, white, and green stuff sneaking into all the stores already, so you know it’s coming: Christmas! Which means our annual Christmas potluck and swap is coming.
For the swap, you can either make a microwave bowl cozy and find a bowl to go with it or make a mug rug and find a mug to go with it. Either way, make your quilted piece, find a mug or bowl, wrap it all up in a gift bag, and at the potluck let the swapping and stealing begin!
Note: if you’re making the microwave bowl cozy, make sure to only use 100% cotton for all parts including batting and thread. No metallics!
Here’s a pattern suggested for the microwave bowl cozy: http://www.seamshappy.com/2012/08/13/microwave-bowl-pot-holder/
And if you want to make a mug rug, I think last year we decided the maximum size is 9” in any direction.
Next sew-in: Replaced by the Jonanco sew-in days. November 17, 18, 24, 25.
Next meeting: Wednesday, December 5, 6:30pm (a bit early to allow people to get set up for the potluck. Bring a dish to share and your swap stuff.
Upcoming quilt shows:
Nothing on the Island in the next couple months, but for 2019:
- Westshore Quilters’ Guild: April 12-13, 2019 - more info at https://westshorequiltersguild.ca/2019-quilt-show/
- Island Quilters (the traditional guild here in Nanaimo): June 6-9, more info in the members section of http://www.islandquilters.ca/index.htm
- Stitch, Sip & Splash: presented by Troll Brothers Quilt Designs - July 12-14, 2019 in Shawnigan Lake. More info: https://trollbrothersquiltdesigns.com/collections/stitch-sip-splash-quilt-retreat-2019
Links for our guild:
Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258471184565888/